Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

Lapping Waves Scarf

For those of you that choose along with Mr. Deepend, well you guys won! (once I reach the end of this scarf whatever is left will be in the navy, maybe I can get a moebius cowl out of it).
I started weaving last night and wove about 8" before I threw in the towel, The mohair was making my arms itchy and I could only get through that length without scratching my skin off. My hands not so much but the fly aways getting on my arms whoa, that was amazingly itchy and uncomfortable, I admire folks who find it soft and wonderful, of course they're not sensitive to it, which is why I'm happy for acrylic, cotton, bamboo, silk, linen, cashmere and alpaca.
I came up with a solution for the weaving session tonight, which is to wear a long sleeve tee. I have a very soft and lite one that will work great without making me sweat, yes it's hot down here already, today's high is 78* and the A/C has been kicking on regularly at night :( I so do miss the cooler temps and it won't be long before we're in the high 80's - 90's ugh!
I like this pattern it's simple to weave and gives an interesting movement to the fabric. I had to drop 5 threads to the end to make the pattern work, I guess I needed to keep a more accurate count while warping. I will next time.


7 comments:

WonderWhyGal said...

I love the wave pattern. I understand about the itchy. I have three angora rabbits on my farm and I can't stand knitting with angora yarn. Now, if I add it into a art yarn then all is good but not as the main component.

That's why they are just pets and the Alpacas rule the farm.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

Delighted Hands said...

Wahsing with some hair conditioner will help when you are done weaving-long sleeved shirt is a good idea! It is pretty, even with the white!

Leigh said...

Beautiful pattern and I love how you did your warp; adds such wonderful interest behind the undulations. Well done! Sounds like you might be allergic (?) to mohair. :(

Theresa said...

Very pretty! I love the colors together. The stripes in the warp reinforce the undulation of the pattern. Speaks movement to me! Bummer on the itchies though...I know some mohair does that to me too and I don't mind wearing wool (soft) next to the skin. OMG, you're that hot already???!! Keep it down there. I am enjoying my deep snowy freeze and would be happy to do so right through April. ;) I keep better.

Judy said...

What an interesting weaving pattern that you don't see very often! I like the colors that you are working with. Your idea of long sleeves sounds like a great way to deal with working with the mohair. It does warm up quickly where you are, doesn't it? We spent five years in Alabama, where it was either hot, or hotter :-)

BeautifulDees said...

Oh my goodness you are so talented...I love your weaving, very interesting. Your blog is stylish. Come by sometime.
Love,Debbie

Nancy at EmbroideryIt.com said...

Oh gosh Bety this is so beautiful. I'm lovin' the movement created by your weaving in this pattern.
Hugs,
Nancy
ps.
you can send some of your warm weather my direction. It is getting in the 50's and 60's here so it won't be long before I can get outside more.