Pages

Friday, August 13, 2010

Shrimp Creole - Cuban Style

My kids are all getting ready to move out, yippeeeeeee!!! Really, I love them and I'm sure I'll feel a twinge of sorrow as I move my loom and yarn in to my older son's room haha... all joking aside it's a big step and I'm glad they have decided that adulthood is calling and they're answering it loud and clear.

In all of this excitement with my loom and restoration, I was reminded by one of the rugrats, that "mom, you have not posted a recipe in like forevaaaar we'll starve with only the few you have on there". They're very dramatic when it comes to food. I checked and yeah they're right the last post was for the Meatballs in FEBRUARY, it's as if we haven't eaten since then, but I have put on a pound or two so no-one in this house is starving.
Camarones Enchilados (Ca-ma-rhone-es En-chee-la-dos)
Shrimp Creole

1- 2#bag of uncooked Shrimp
1- small green pepper chopped
1- small onion chopped
3 -cloves of garlic minced
2 -bay leaves
1 -8oz can of tomato sauce
½- teaspoon of sugar
1- cup of white wine (I drink Riesling so that’s what I used)
½- teaspoon of Kosher Salt




1- packet of Sazon Goya Seasoning (picture included)
1- lime
2 -tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
Hot sauce to taste I usually put in a tablespoon or so.
Parsley for garnish.

Peel shrimp and divine, if you can get them peeled and divined then you’re ahead of the game (I get my shrimp at BJ's wholesale club they come frozen uncooked and ready).

In a sauté pan over medium heat pour olive oil, garlic, green peppers and onions, sauté until the onions and green peppers are soft and the onions are almost translucent
Add Sazon packet, tomato sauce, bay leaves, salt, sugar, wine and hot sauce.
Simmer and reduce the heat. The sauce will thicken some but not like gravy.

Make the rice; once the rice is ready you can add the shrimp to the sauté pan, it really doesn’t take long to cook shrimp and if they get over cooked they are tough and chewy.

Let them cook until they just turned pink, turn off heat and cover let them cook for about 5 more minutes. Squeeze the lime over the shrimp mixture before serving.

Serve shrimp over the rice and some parsley for garnish. Don't forget the Cuban Bread to sop up the sauce, your really going to want to do that.

3 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

It has been a long time since you graced us with a recipe-this one is worth the wait-yum! We joked that the sons leaving might just be the first leaving, you know. It happens...

ladyoftheloom said...

those people over at goya who make that seasoning really know what they are doing. I love it. This recipe looks delicious!

Acorn to Oak said...

Mmmmm...yummy! That looks so good! Funny...I've been thinking about how I haven't posted anything about food in a long time either. I just haven't been that into cooking lately. My poor family! lol And, when I do come up with something pretty cool, I haven't felt like getting the camera out to blog it.