Pages

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Cuban Picadillo

Since I don't have any weaving to report, I thought I'd share my recipe for Cuban Picadillo (Ground Beef in Tomato Sauce)

Ingredients:

1 ¾ lbs of Lean Ground Sirloin
½ each fine chop of green Pepper, red Pepper, Vidalia onion
1 tbsp of minced garlic
3 tbsp of Badia Complete Seasoning or ( 1tsp each of garlic powder, onion powder, ground cumin, crushed bay leaves, parsley)
½ tsp of kosher salt
¼ cup of pimento stuffed olives
1 small box 1 ½ oz of raisins
1 small can of tomato sauce.
¼ cup of extra Virgin Olive Oil
Optional:
2 cubed baking potatoes fried in canola oil.
Take these and chop in the food processor or fine if you don't mind small chunks of peppers and onion, the spoon is full of fine minced garlic. ( my kids hate chunks of green stuff so I mince)
Put the olive oil in the pan along with the peppers, onion and garlic saute until soft

Add this wonderful seasoning and the Kosher salt.

the can of tomato sauce



Add the sirloin and cook until brown


Add the olives and raisins, cook for another 10 mins.
Variation: Cut up in to cubes 2 baking potatoes fry in canola oil and add to the cooked picadillo, mix.
You can serve this over cooked white rice or stuffed into Cuban or French Bread. If you like spicy food although not traditional, you can add hot sauce to taste.
I didn't add the potatoes because I'm planning to a Shepard's Pie filling with this batch.

4 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

Sounds (and looks) delicious! Thanks

bspinner said...

Looks delicious!! Think I could ground chicken or turkey instead of beef?

Woven Spun said...

You have been hanging out in my studio I think. Just yesterday I was telling my dad that he's failed to pass down my abuela's picadillo recipe and he swore he did. But that's ok, I've adapted my own and it's very similar to yours. My family (except for me) prefers the green olives left out though....bah...what do they know?

DEEP END OF THE LOOM said...

Bspinner, yes you could use chicken or turkey, I've never done it that way (the troops are not into ground poultry)but I don't see why not, maybe add some chicken stock to keep it moist.
Woven-n-Spun, I just started writing down the family receipes and taking pictures so that my kids can continue our cultural cuisine, I'd hate to think it would disappear in a few more generations.