Pages

Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Totes, Roving and Wonderful Customer Service

This is the second bag I was working on, I just saw another bag yesterday that I might convince myself I want, but that is for another post. I got the idea for this bag from Woven-n-Spun. She did a great job on hers, I loved the concept and I wanted to use up some woven material and recycle old jean that don't fit Mr. Deepend anymore.



I put in a generous jean pocket and more pockets on the inside, you could say I never have enough pocket on the interior of my bags. All the hardware for the bags came from Joann Fabrics in case anyone has the inspiration to make bags, although I tell you the twist lock on this one was way easier to fiddle with than the doughnut on the other.



I got my new roving from Woolgatherings and OMG!! its gorgeous, CLEAN and lightning fast I ordered this roving on Saturday 4.3 and had it in my hands Monday 4.5 at noon, talk about quick service I was shocked at the turn around time - that my friends is wonderful customer service.


This is the original alpaca I got with the spindle, I did contact the vendor and they said they were sorry they disappointed me in this area.
I wouldn't have thought anything if I had any idea on how to process it, but I don't, so spinning with it will not be happening, it's a shame because it's really soft and a lovely chocolate color. (if anyone wants it please let me know, I can't do anything with it don't know how).
This is what was left behind from the photo shoot, not pretty, but understandable for raw material. This is my new roving, isn't it beautiful? I have 4oz of 100% Alpaca, and 1/4 oz of BFL?/Tussah Silk, what's BFL - I thought big fat and lazy?? haha. I'm sure someone will enlighten me on that cause Google doesn't know lots of hits for Body for Life and Bass Fishing League really there's an actual league, just boggles the mind, but I'm sure they would say the same about the fiber obsession going on over here.

Nothing but clean, soft, silky alpaca! I can't wait to start my spinning adventure. I hope to maybe have some spun at lunch time and get a pic for you to tell me if it looks like it should. ;)

7 comments:

Benita said...

BFL = Blue-Faced Leicester - it's a breed of sheep and it is awesome to spin!

I am surprised they sent you raw alpaca to spin. It should have been processed into roving or top, first.

Delighted Hands said...

Bettie-I can easily wash and card it for you and then it will be a delight to spin-email me if you want to send it and I will get it done quickly for you! Really; the job it easy with a carder.

Leigh said...

I love the bag! The alpaca is lovely too. I've spun it raw. It's not greasy so that isn't a problem, but alpaca seems to be notoriously dusty. As Delighted Hands says, it will be easy to spin after carding.

Julie said...

Love, love the bag and the roving is just beautiful!

DEEP END OF THE LOOM said...

Thanks, Delighted I just left you a comment.
Leigh I didn't find it at all greasy and there is no smell, nice fiber I just don't have the experience to deal with it I guess :).
Benita thank you for letting me know what the acronym I would have never guessed it.
Julie - thanks it really is very pretty in person.

Woven Spun said...

love love love the bag. Hello, my name is Kimberly and I am a bag-a-holic. It's been 1 week since my latest bag and I am craving a new one already (all together now...Hi Kim). Seriously, I like how you used blue jeans and your woven cloth together. I had a concept like that on the drawing board with my sons ripped jeans, but alas, he threw them out before I could get the scissors to them. BAH!

Acorn to Oak said...

What a great idea for recycling old jeans! I love finding uses for them. Great bag!