Pages

Monday, April 28, 2008

Failure at it's finest




I was inspired to make an eyeglass purse from u-handbag.com and curious textiles , which I think have the most beautiful bags and coin purses.


I purchased these frames and of course the small one is for eyeglasses purse, so I grabbed my project bag that I had put together for this idea. I followed all the directions with the exception of zigzag stitching my woven fabric so it would not fall apart, well as you can see in the pic after all the sewing and interfacing and turning the bag inside out, I found *shaking head side to side in dismay* that my woven fabric came apart at the seams. WHAAAAAAA!!! This only fortified my fear of cutting the stuff, not a good outcome. But I have convinced myself after much debate (this goes on in my head so that the family doesn't think I've lost the little marbles I have left) that I must try it again, no matter how painful, stressful or time consuming it is. I can't give into that feeling of hopelessness that I get at the thought of cutting my hand woven. I can only thank God that I'm not using any yarn that I would consider irreplaceable or valuable, I'd probably have a nervous breakdown.



I know - it looks so pitiful, oh well, try, try again. I need to weave some more fabric for it.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't give up. The first thing I tried to make out of my woven cloth was a real disaster. Seriously. It fell apart at every seam (but I saved it and can still salvage small projects from it). Just zig zag your seams or serge them. I bought a serger just for my wovens and have loved using it for them. I want to make some of those little purses too, but alas, one must get to the loom first.

Anonymous said...

oh what a shame! but I'm with Kimberly - don't give up. I too was very impressed with Kaz's little purse and would love to give it a try myself. Meanwhile I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines.

Peg in South Carolina said...

The title is magnificent! And I know absolutely you are not going to give up!

Susan B. said...

I agree with Peg about the title - perfect.
I also totally empathized with your words: "that I must try it again, no matter how painful, stressful or time consuming it is. I can't give into that feeling of hopelessness". I am so there right now - it helps to know I am not alone!

Anonymous said...

Ditto what Kimberly said...When it comes to sewing with hand woven cloth, sergers are your friend :-)

Your next one will be a success.

Leigh said...

Oh my. You're braver than I am. I decided this project wasn't for me as soon as I first saw it. I agree with trying again; I think we learn best from our mistakes anyway.

Marlene said...

Oh, that's a shame.

Did you use fusible interfacing, the kind meant for knit fabrics? I took fashion design and the weaving teacher had us fuse the back of our weaving with that type of interfacing before we cut into it. As long as that is done first there shouldn't be a problem.

Peg in South Carolina said...

I use lightweight interfacing on my handwovens, but I cut the fabric, then the interfacing, then fuse. It is easier to do this when you don't have a place to lay out yardage and interfacing to fuse. However, if the handwoven is very loosely woven, fusing the fabric first is probably a good idea.

Meg said...

What a pretty fabric, though!!

Anonymous said...

Are you still having a go at using your handwovens for purses? I also have had problems like this even on finely handwoven fabrics. A good fuseable interfacing will help and a strong lining. A thicker weave will also probably fare better with a larger purse. They are so enjoyable to make but it took a few disasters to come up with one I liked. Good Luck.
Kaz