Pages

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Hand Manipulated Weaving



I kept the center warp of the window treatment ( if we can call it that) which is 3" wide and have been experimenting with some hand manipulated weaving. I like the look of the fabric and the texture given it's sort a spongy and puffy. I was under the impression that I would have a balanced weave since both warp and weft are the same yarn, but on closer inspection I have noticed that this is a weft faced weave the warp is all but gone. So that was an interesting discovery for me. I also noticed in my weaving that the right side is nice and even and the left is not, so I need to work on keeping my tension even in throwing the weft and pulling through.

Meg is trying to put together a virtual exhibition of woven scarves. She has asked that I submit one, so this small piece will be the inspiration for the scarf with, of course some leno lace, which is one of my favorites at this moment.

I created a new group in yahoo a while back, RHLoomers and have discovered a lot of RH weavers, many new, some very experienced, but all excited about their weaving experiences, it has grown considerably in a short period of time and I hope that it will be a source of references, help and encouragement to the RH weavers.

4 comments:

Peg in South Carolina said...

You are probably getting a weft-faced weave because the weaving width is so narrow. The wider the width, the harder it is for the beater to beat down. This would be just as true of a RH as it would be for a floor loom. I'm glad you created the RH group. That should be fun.

Leigh said...

I agree with Peg. This is the fun of experimenting! I really like the way it looks BTW.

Anonymous said...

I'm inspired by this. The colours work well and I like the weft faced patterning.

RiverCitySTL said...

I love your color choices! You did this on a RH? I really need to get back into working with my RH. I'm head off to join your RH group! (Even though I haven't touched my RH in over 6 months.)