Pages

Friday, April 04, 2008

Weaving Stand Still

I am at an impasse, I have one thread that is so tight while the rest are fine. I have unrolled some, re-rolled and I still have this issue. I'm so not happy with this warp, I should have just packed it away and not kept insisting on weaving it off. It's the left end thread, I'm tempted to cut it and add to it, but I know that can't be the answer. I quit trying to fix it last night at midnight, slept on it and still can't figure out what's up. I may just cut the whole thing off the loom and start something else fresh. I'm finding that when I warp the entire length of the loom the end are always a problem they are either too loose or too tight, even though I pay extra attention and care, because I know this has happened before. This is the second warp on the 12.5 dpi heddle that I make the same mistake, arrrrrghhhhhhhh!! I know I'm whining, but talk about having the wind sucked out of your sails. I've look through my books and none address this problem, so I have reason to believe that I'm the problem or that I did something wrong that I should have noticed. I don't know, I'll have to see what I do tonight with it.

On another happier note I have been inspired to try to make some purses, curiousweaver textiles, is a weaver in Australia and she has been making these coin purses that are just beautiful. I thought I would try to do the same and see how it went. I found www.mikkie.com and order some purse frames at a reasonable price. As I kept researching the web I came across www.u-handbag.com, I was further inspired by Lisa, who does the most amazing fabric purses and she has a bunch of tutorials, which is great for visual learners.

Maybe I can use the warp that I'm going to trash for purse fabric, although I really wanted my shawl.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been secretly admiring those coin purses too and have wanted to do more bags with my weaving. I really need to. Let's do a weave/bag along to inspire us both LOL

Peg in South Carolina said...

Thanks for the purse links. Like you, I too have been inspired by Curiousweaver!

I am sorry about your warp issue. On the next warp watch carefully the end yarns as you wind them on and maybe you can figure it out. In the meantime, The best thing to do is to wind a yarn the length you need on a piece of card, a bobbin, an intarsia bobbin; pin it into the warp, weight it and let it hang from the back of the rigid heddle. You'll probably have to play with how much weight until you get it right. When you stop weaving, however, don't let it hang there but pick it up and place it on the table or whatever you have your rigid heddle loom on.

Meg said...

Ahhh, tension problems, my perpetual worry. I say do as Peg suggested, and cut the current, problem warp thread. And once you've figured out the correct weight, it should be smooth sailing. (Though in my case, something else crops up.)